Monday, August 7, 2017

CWWC #2




You know, there might be only cwwc posts for a while. 😆 They're so close together! Good thing I enjoy them. 😛 (And you better learn to! 😜)
All that said, here is story number two!
Loren, I used all three prompts, and placed them where I use them.

*******************************************************

I looked out the window of my new room and sighed. I couldn't believe that we'd actually moved! And I couldn't decide whether I was happy about that or not. I was away from my friends, but still within visiting distance, so that was good. The houses were very close together, but that made cool little passages to explore, right? The houses were also kind of beat up, including ours, but they were very fancy, and would make interesting photography subjects. It was grey, and the trees were bare, but it was winter. Things would brighten up in the spring. 
I sat down in a chair ad glanced around my room. I should unpack, but first I wanted to check for secret passages. There should at least be one, there always was in books. I leaned against the back of the chair and closed my eyes. I was tired, and-
I opened my eyes with a start. Had I fallen asleep? I wasn't sure. It didn't look any different outside, but that didn't mean anything. Something felt different, but I wasn't sure what. Oh well, I thought. I decided to go explore outside. I went past my parents, who were busy in the kitchen. I didn't have any siblings, so I slipped out without being seen. I wanted to be alone for a bit. I stepped onto our little yard and looked around. I spotted a cat, staring at me from across the street. I smiled, I had always liked cats, but my parents wouldn't get me one. This cat was a beautiful chalky gray. It turned around and walked into the space between two of the houses. I hesitated, and looked around. There were no cars, and no lights, and no people to be seen. So, nobody must be home. For like, most of the street. Weird. I followed the cat. The ally was narrow, and dark. I couldn't see the cat anywhere, and I didn't want to get lost looking for it. I was about to turn around when I noticed a glow. So I kept walking, and I found a window. A window? On this side? The light was on, so someone was home after all. I couldn't help but peek in. The first thing I noticed were the chains. Stretching across the hard wood floor, lying in loops and piled up in piles. They were attached to an ankle, and the ankle was attached to the rest of a boy.  
He was skinny, and wearing shorts and a T-shirt. His brown hair was messy, and he had bruises on his arms, and a red slap mark on his cheek. He turned towards me, and his eyes were wild. Hurt. Broken. I wanted to duck down but I couldn't, I was frozen, standing there. I shouldn't have been able to hear him very well through the glass, but he spoke clear as day. "Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."
I was confused, and still frozen. I could suddenly turn, and images flashed in the air in front of me. Four kids, beat up, running. Screams, as three were taken away. One came here. This one. I turned in the other direction and ran back towards home. I ran into the house and slammed the door behind me. My mother walked into the room, drying a dish with a towel.  "Not all prisons are physical. Some carry with you wherever you go." She said. Then the walls blew up, dropping the second story down upon us.
I woke up for good when I fell out of my chair. I had started awake, sure that the house was collapsing, and had a brief view of the room falling sideways...then I hit the floor and realized it was me. I sat up, rubbing my head. Had it really been a dream? I wasn't sure If I was relieved or disappointed. I'd have to find out. Carefully. I heard my mother calling me. I went downstairs, and jumped. My mother was at the door, talking to a woman holding something wrapped in tinfoil, banana bread, from the smell of it. At her side stood a skinny boy, the one I'd seen in my dream. He had no bruises on his arms, no slap mark on his face, no chains. His hair wasn't that messy. But his face was quiet, reserved. Like he was hiding. I thought about what my mother had said in my dream, it wasn't the first time she had said it. She had said it before, when I was awake. My mother introduced me to them, and I smiled and said hello. The boy didn't quite smile back. The woman gave my mother the banana bread, and after they left, I asked my mom who they were. "Weren't you paying attention?" She asked, giving me a funny look. "No, I suppose you weren't. That's our new neighbor and her son, well, not technically. He's a foster care, but her and her husband plan on adopting him." Hmm. That kind of explained it. If the rest of my dream was true, he probably had siblings, but they got split up. Poor kid. I glanced out the window and saw a chalky gray cat sitting on the porch of the house that the boy had just entered. "You should get to know him," my mother suggested. "Make your first friend here." Yes, I thought. That's a very good idea. 

*******************************************************

I'm not sure if I like this ending, but it was the best I could come up with. 😐
I also like the dream, but not a dream thing. 😛
Bye!

What do you think of my story? Did you notice how nobody in it has names? 
Am I the only one who thinks the houses in the first prompt look cool? 
Do you have so many siblings that you need to start prepping for
 their Christmas presents early? like, way early? 😆

No comments:

Post a Comment